Saturday, December 14, 2019

Exam fever

Around anytime of the year just before any kind of holiday, ranging from summer holidays to something as measely as a Sunday, children breathe a sigh of relief. Not so much for the parents. Latest studies from my neighborhood psychologist reveal high amount of stress in adults which is related to tests and exams. No, not their physical tests and blood reports but their wards' school, college, school entrance, college entrance exams, cycle and motorbike tests, pre school activities, drawing competitions, craft competitions and craft from waste competitions. It is another story that these tests lead them to medical labs for more tests.

WhatsApp messages range from, what is the timetable, send exam portions, solve question 2A and part of 2B, please send previous years papers for class one exams, are your kids studying through the night or only in the morning or morning and night and end with some parents asking questions about a particular day's examination after the child leaves for school. Each has their own reason for such behaviour so I will not get into that.

I go through a different kind of stress resulting from the confusion of whether or not to be stressed about stress. The kids behave like they are not related to me the moment I indicate some recognition of their impending exams. All sorts of excuses are brought about, the most common being 'I know everything'. This was given up by both kids when I told them if they know everything they must answer all questions correctly.

If I ask the son to study he would either give a blank stare or say that he is hungry and start eating, taking as long as he can to finish. The younger one would suddenly remember her long lost dinosaur eraser and her star shaped sharpener and begin looking for them, for two hours that is.

Almost having given up, I, one day found a silver lining. The boy who would simply laze around instead of going down and playing with his friends would bolt down before I could begin to say the word study. Or before he could hear the S word , he would march into the kitchen, push me out and start making dosas for the family. On normal days he would delay going to bed but would fall asleep the moment he picks up his history book. Can't blame him for that though!

Daughter would do anything to procrastinate and many times would end up cleaning her cupboard, accessory drawers and would even help me fold clothes, cut vegetables or write letters to her thatha and all other friends.

I reflected upon these and have now reached another level of peace. They are learning something right? Studying the cobwebs without blinking an eye is an art I should say.

We do have our Vadivelu moments. The other day I asked the older child to study for his exams.

Half an later he was found cleaning his sister's plastic mouth-organ diligently with soap and a soft piece of cloth, measuring the amount of water used and holding the instrument up against the sunlight. As I stared dumbfounded at this new level of procrastination, he said, "Amma am using physics here".

I sat down, (con)vexed.

No comments: