Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Of words great and small...

The whole world and its sister are now going organic, natural and exotic, not only in consumption but also in communication. Wherever went the days when flamboyant words were found only in classics? These days they are expressions of aesthetism, class and all-knowing superiority.

People selling wares at dastkar, santhai and the flea market (no, they are not cheap) pitch the magic words- 'Ma'am would you like to try this moisturising cream? It is hand made with a dash of ginger and honey with a subtle hint of fig and garlic". Aesthetically challenged as I am, I venture to ask, "can I use them as a spread for sandwich? My kids love honey and figs" I quietly slip away even as the vendor feigns deafness.

The older child now is extremely interested in cooking and much to my chagrin takes after his father when it comes to olfactory powers not to mention culinary skills. After months of enduring 'there is less salt in this', 'this is roasted slightly lighter than pitch darkness' and so on, he now 'master chefies' every phrase. 'Amma can I have some lentil stew', ' this plaintain curry lacks flavour and punch", 'the peanut sundal lacks the nutty flavor' and only stops when I sweetly ask him eat the sambar rice or he will receive a punch on his nose.

The lesser said about the younger child's, 'Mom, t'day's shloka sessions and the prashad were oh-so awhsom' the better. She trumps me.

Day to day life is presented with positivity and a lot of sweetness. Food is food in what whichever way you present it. The same goes with perfumes, soaps, clothing, tooth brush , pens, pencils and 'gently exfoliating' pumice stones. To me rest rooms will always be toilet/bathroom and bikes will be cycle or scooter and pooches, dogs.

I support eco friendly products but give a pass when I see 'mild smelling and organically healing' nature bars. Just call them soap dude.

Extremely frustrated over this exaggerated farrago that our lives have become, I storm out to get my sanity back and bump into my Shakespearean friend. Recently, she was given charge of 'curating' phrases for hand made soaps and she churned out lines like, 'An organic bar with nature's goodness, appealing to your inner Goddess' and the like.

I stood eyes glazed and bewildered and almost flipped at the cost of one soap bar. Her mother who was listening in with much amusement asked me,  "Are you going to buy the soap?" "Of course not! It is so expensive" I blurted.

And the wise lady quipped, "Let people who pay for it bother about understanding the slogan then!"

Point taken.

No comments: