Thursday, August 5, 2010

Then and now; Sivaji and Enthiran!

Simply, then and now would have meant that I was going to write about my first pregnancy and the present. Yes..it is still about that. It is just a coincidence that the superstar's films have also been spaced out during the exact time frame! Silly? Yes and No. Not that I am bothered about watching the film.

What I am concerned about are the songs. The only memories that are still vivid till date are those from the delivery table. Even as I was doing my breathing (occasionally checking if they were in the right order), chanting slokas, a song suddenly made its way through into my head. I don't remember whether the film 'Sivaji, the Boss' was released by then or if it were only the songs, but 'Sahana saaral...' kept ringing in my ears. Later I was thankful that it was 'Sahana' and not 'Oru koodai sumlight..' That would have made the labor harder!

Now, I dread the 'techno-effects' of 'Enthiran' getting into the system. Not that the songs are bad, but I only hope 'Boom boom robo da' does n't make its way through into my head!!!

Other memories from the D-table and more songs
The only good thing about that hospital (Now I've changed both the gynecologist and the hospital) was the doctor. What irritated me most was even when I wanted to get down and use the toilet, I was told, 'Come soon..the doctor will get angry'. "Sister, my back pain is getting worse, I want to lean against the wall...", "No...The doctor might say something..' and continued on those line when I wanted the A/C temperature to be reduced, wanted to sit etc. The problem was that the baby's head did n't turn and I was having 'back labor'. Though the duty doctor acknowledged this fact, the nurses didn't assist me.

To cut a four hour story short, that was when 'Sahana' happened (?) and I was getting temporary relief. The two nurses present tried their level best to help me primarily by acting deaf and secondly by holding my hand. Suddenly one of them thought it would give me great pleasure if she sings. And started off with 'Yerikara poongatre'...Lovely song agreed. But not when heard in a screech-like Malayalam accented version, especially when one is contemplating whether the pain in the lower abdomen or the back pain is worse. Taking liberty from the fact that one need not feel embarrassed while in labor, I made a face.
The nurse (full credit to her for trying to be helpful), "Yaen...paatu pidikalaiya?" (Don't you like the song).
Me: (Trying to sound Vadivelu-like) 'Illa sister...valikudhu' (No, it is paining, hoping she would understand what pain I meant)

It is said that the baby, after birth, can recognize voices that it had heard inside the womb. It was true in V's case. He was quiet when the doctor, duty doctor and other nurses walked into the room (and talked of course). But when our 'Yeriakara' nurse spoke to me he cried. Not once but every time she came in!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!
Hilarious post indeed!
This time you may get some 'kadalora; nurse.

Ambulisamma.

Jayashree said...

Most hospitals/clinics seem to have this kind of attitude....when I took LG to see the dentist, the clinic would always give me an appointment for 4.30, when the doctor was scheduled to come in only at 5. After this happened twice, I decided to reach the clinic at 5 the third time, and the receptionist called me twice to check that I really was going to come in....or the doc would be angry. Felt as if I was being pulled up for being late to school.

Lavanya Sriram said...

LOL :)
totally enjoyed the post :) very well written:)

Hema said...

AA-Oh No!!
Jayashree - They act like teachers..they do.
Lavanya- Thanks:)

Arundhati said...

LOL!

PV said...

Are congratulations in order ?

If so, hope the experience is smooth and the nurses meet your musical preferences this time !

Hema said...

PV-Yes! I hope too!
Arundhati-:)

utbtkids said...

Don't worry, this time we will train the nurse to sing, "Varudhu varudhu, vilagu vilagu, vengai veliye varudhu", which is also a Ranjini song BTW.

OMG, ROFL and running away before you start virtual hitting me :)

Hema said...

UTBTkids- Thoongathey akka err.. thambi thoongathey...ithu Kamal padamnu nenaikaren! See Even if I forget to mention my LMP date to the doctor ithellam nalla nyabagam irukkum!

LIFE_REFACTORED said...

Dizzy!!!!