Thursday, March 4, 2010

A tale of two babies...

One afternoon, I stepped into the bathroom and quickly drew my foot out. Something darted by. I first thought it was a mouse and then realized it was a little squirrel. This is the third time that a little squirrel had managed its way in. I was very keen on letting it out because the little one could n't climb the way out on its own and it was SCARED.

And then the catching began. As I tried to pick it up it started running wildly. I brought a thick piece of cardboard with which I thought I could lift it up and let it outside. It was not easy. Possibly the tiny squirrel thought I was going to hurt it and slipped every time I tired catching it. No amount of pleading (I later recalled that I was addressing the squirrel the same way as I would call V!), cajoling and squirrel-like screeching (I forget what it is called!) helped.

After fifteen minutes of running, sweating and panting I managed to lift the squirrel and lift it out. The poor thing was shivering and so was I.

In the meantime....

V who was n't able to find me anywhere else in the house panicked and started crying. I was not oblivious to his crying but concentrated on the squirrel because, V's grandparents were around. When I came out I saw him waiting outside, tears flowing down his face. He had decided that his Amma had left him and had gone away. (How else can one translate, "Amma poitta...enna vitutu poita..." etc?!) I lifted him up and he hugged me tight and kept asking me to go back to the bathroom, holding me tighter. I tried explaining to him about the little squirrel. He seemed to understand and kept asking if the squirrel's Amma had left it and had gone away!

It was time for his afternoon nap. As is his habit now, he started talking in his sleep. And this time it was, "Amma go inside the bathroom and don't come back". This subsided only some time late in the evening.

I had to give priority to the first mentioned baby. At about the same time when I heard V crying out side, I heard some thing else outside the bathroom ventilator - Squirrels

8 comments:

Jayashree said...

What you heard could have been the baby squirrel asking mamma why she'd left him all alone.....

LIFE_REFACTORED said...

poor things, both V and the squirrel! Been there, in my case the squirrel had a broken leg probably escaping from a cat! We had the squirrel in a box(until her leg healed) and had it fed water and some nuts. All was well till dusk, next morning, the squirrel was found shivering! Apparently cats had hounded the box scaring the bejeesus out of the poor squirrel!
Then we let the squirrel go thinking that nature would cure her faster than captivity!
Children are possessive aren't they?
BTW, sorry to sound like am your mother all the time i write a comment, but, can you change the part of the sentence that reads "put him to sleep." to something like "I put him to bed" for the obvious reasons. Sorry if am annoying you.

Jayashree said...

Yes you can mail me at luvgoodfood@gmail.com

Hema said...

Jayashree: done:)
LR: Gosh...In my enthusiasm did n't notice...Thanks!

Anonymous said...

This post reminded me of my Squirrel raising days!
"Squirrel" (and what a novel name that is!! :o))was left behind by his mum as she probably couldn't manage to carry the wounded baby. He lived with us for 5 whole months until he chose to go back into the wide world! Such a sweetie he was, following us everywhere pestering us for a ride in our shoulder, and falling asleep in the folds of my mum's saree :o)
And his fav food was KaaraBoondhi!! :o)
We made him live in the tree in our backyard, and interestingly, all other squirrels would visit him and cuddle him, but he would always return back to us. Maybe finally he responded to Lady Love's beckoning!!
P.S: The weirdest thing I had raised back to health in my "Animal shelter" was a battered baby bat. I consider the rat, lizard family and cat too common to be mentioned ;o)
--Vandana

Hema said...

'Vandana'-Wow...All of us seem to have gone through a 'lizard-rat-squirrel'raising stage..But 'Bat'? Knowing you am not surprised:))))

Uma said...

Oh that sounds so much like Pattu! She always wants to know that the mother of every living thing is somewhere nearby... else she would be upset.

Hema said...

Uma: That is very sweet of her:)