Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Scenes from the Beach

It is now a weekly routine for the little one to be taken to the beach. His endeavors follow more or less the same pattern every time, except that, these days he cares to 'draw' and play in the sand. There are other things that catch my eye these days (I am leaving the 'Jodis' in peace!)...

I find many young people standing alone, looking towards the sea or in the opposite direction or on the waves. They smile or simply stare or even strike a pose..Even before I try to comment on how stress and work and family pressures are affect youngsters, I see this...A few meters away, one of their friends plays the photographer clicking his/her friend in the open studio. Little wonder I find many FaceBook and Orkut profile pictures with such backgrounds...One guy is desperately trying to an 'Alaipayuthey' Madhavan and his friend is franctically clicking him.

H tugs at my sleeve, "Look...your twin". Well, a lady is trying to towel her wet child dry even as her husband holds the child high enough that her dangling legs do not touch the sand. The lady changes even changes the child's clothes this way!

A Frisbee game is on.... I've read about it but am watching one for the first time. The players are so damn good that one need n't duck or crawl on the sand to avoid being hit...

We walk on, and find another game in progress and I almost begin to crawl, before someone dives in front of me. This time it is a football game.

As we are seated, the ladies with their 'Kuri Josiyam' skills approach and talk about how the lady with the beautiful smile, the one who should have been born a man (Me!) is going to reach greater heights in life. Even as I beam and look towards her, H sends her away...Jealous husband...

We finally march towards a stage set  a few meters away. Every weekend (I think from the last), some folk programmes are being staged. Having missed 'Chennai Sangamam' early this year, we stroll towards the stage, more because V is super excited, as he catches the music from his favorite instruments- the Nathaswaram and the Thavil. He watches absolutely dumbstruck as a group performs the 'Karagattam'.

We come back home and the effect is as seen in the header picture!

 The 'Dholak' in the photo is a real one, a gift from V's Athai and Athimber. This is the fourth of his proud 'percussion possessions'!! The first three were the toy-like Dholaks purchased at T.Nagar. The purchases were persisted with, only because of the little one's interest. Otherwise they are NOT  worth subsequent purchases. Anyhow, our little drummer palys 'dum dum' with anything, from a bucket to his Appa's head!

6 comments:

Jayashree said...

You know, these same kai jotsyam people come and offer to read your hand at night....I always wonder how they'll be able to see at that time :-))

Hema said...

I know:))

Anonymous said...

now THAT pic is so apt for the blog name :o) Well Done!

Hema said...

@Anon: Thank You:)

Uma said...

A real drum! Wow! Love your profile pic Hema...
Btw, which beach do you go to?
And I have changed my commen settings to pop up...thanks for pointing out :)

Hema said...

Uma: Thanks:)