Sunday, January 3, 2010

How marriage and children can affect the functioning of a washing machine...

Almost a year after our wedding H and I went on a holiday. We came back early one morning, only to pack lunch and head to our respective places of work. It was a very tiring day, as we had to get up at 3:00AM that morning, catch the first flight back home and head off to work as we could n't afford another day's leave. That evening I came back, dumped the clothes into the washing machine, and took a short nap only to find the clothes absolutely dry after three hours. I had forgotten to put the main switch on...

Three Years later...
As we were heading to the station to catch the train to Madurai, I was thinking about all the things that we had forgotten to do or take along. Even as I was 'tick-marking' them in my head I remembered the 'washing machine' incident mentioned above. No such thing can happen this time, I told my self. Though I was not sure of my memory I was confident of the new machine. The old one was a front loader with manual switches and knobs. So I did n't notice that the power was not on, three years ago! This time, even if I forget to switch the main power on, the machine's sleek 'fuzzy-logic' panel will not respond. How clever of us...

We were back home. It was almost 11 in the night. I dumped the clothes into the machine, set it in the delay-start mode and went off to sleep.

H had woken up an hour earlier. I went straight to the washing machine, only to find the clothes still inside. How irresponsible can a man get. He wakes up early only to sit and read the newspaper. Can't a sensible man at least take the clothes out of the machine. The washing had been done three hours earlier.
Even as I looked at H with all these questions in mind, he said calmly,

"When I came here, the thing was screaming ...this time, you did n't turn the water tap on"....
I only had the title of this post as my answer!

3 comments:

homecooked said...

Hahaha...that was a good one!

Mama - Mia said...

hahaha! poor you!!

fuzzy logic cant save our tired fuzzy brains! hehe!

Hema said...

@homecooked: You bet!
@Mama-Mia: Great to see you here!