Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Manners please...

We were on our usual beach outing. The little one and his appa were in the water and his amma as usual was gaping and wondering... at the sea of course! I got up to call out to the duo to get back, when I noticed a boy (looked like college going) clicking snaps of V, with his digital camera. To make sure I was right, I stood a good four feet behind him, and thanks to his camera with a really wide screen, I was able to see that he was indeed clicking photos of V. It was so casual, that people walking in front of him stopped so that they did n't affect his view. He was even framing out H.

I was livid to say the least and as father and son were retreating, I was on the heels of the 'camera' guy. Actually, he did n't expect someone to be watching him and was walking away without even telling the parent that he had clicked his son's photo. They were a group of four or five boys and all I asked him was, "Don't you think you should have asked first"? He looked plainly shocked that he was being watched and deleted (he seemed to be doing something of that sort. I did n't pull his camera out to cross check, which on hindsight, I feel was a foolish thing to have forgotten) whatever he had clicked. Also, I am pretty sure that he was embarrassed, with many eyes on him, as it was quite crowded that time.

I told H of what had happened and he remained silent for a very long time. If he is silent when I keep jabbering, it only means either of the two:

He, as always, thinks I am talking nonsense and does n't bother to listen, or

He is really bothered and is thinking seriously about it, which only means the issue is grave.

This time it was obviously the latter and I kept saying how youngsters these days seemed to have lost all manners. He said the following, trying to sound casual but it gave me the creeps...

"What do you think will happen..In worst cases he'll probably upload this as his profile photo in Facebook..."

The above was what prompted me to do the post. How far can one go to protect one's child? If someone asks before clicking a photograph, we can think of something before refusing politely. But what if something like the above happens? Now, I am actually thinking about the many times this could have happened without our getting to know. This is not the case of making a mountain out of a molehill, because this is serious considering the circumstances that we live in. I can only appeal to those who seem to throw all reasoning behind and do what they like.

At least when you take a photograph of a child make sure you speak to his or her parents about it.

Knowing well this may not work, a suggestion parents...Throw your inhibitions off...Tell the 'perpetrators' politely, or if they don 't listen, there is no harm in being rude. It is you child after all.

5 comments:

Jayashree said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog, Hema.
Good for u that you actually spoke to the guy and asked him to delete the photos.

Kartik Jayaraman said...

There's absolutely no doubt that basic manners are being lost with the newer generations....

Vibaas said...

I so agree with you. he should've asked first. I dont like the way people are changing :(

Vibaas said...

oh btw, i came to thank u for your lovely comment...forgot what i came here for :)

Hema said...

Jayashree: Thanks to you too! Actually I guess it was my luck that he was also polite!

Kartik and Vibaas: I know!!